"DUTCH Hormone Metabolite Test" Preparation Guide
IMPORTANT: The instructions for the DUTCH Test are very specific. Read all instructions thoroughly before taking your test. Note: You may need to wait days or weeks before collecting an accurate sample.
The DUTCH Test is completed in the comfort of your own home using a collection kit that is mailed to you by the lab. For a simple and effective experience, follow the instructions below or WATCH THE INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEO.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- Collection kit. Mailed to you by the lab.
- Clean cup. To catch urine. Must be thoroughly clean and dry.
- Test Requisition Form. Mailed to you by the lab. This must be completed in its entirety and sent in with your specimen.
- Mailing materials. Mailed to you by the lab. A prepaid FedEx mailer and box to ship your sample to the lab.
PREPARE FOR YOUR TEST
IF YOU ARE USING HORMONES:
- Oral DHEA: Do not take for 48 hours before your first collection.
- Oral estrogen (except birth control) or pregnenolone: Do not take for 72 hours before your first collection.
- Hormones taken at night (including oral progesterone): Take after the bedtime sample.
- Hormones taken in the morning: Take after sample #4.
- Hormone creams or gels: Take as usual.
- Glucocorticoids (Prednisone, Dexamethasone, etc.): Check with your practitioner.
- Patches, pellets and injections: Collect midway between doses.
- Sublingual hormones or oral hydrocortisone: Go here for specific video instructions.
WHAT TO AVOID:
- Foods: avoid avocado, banana, fava beans within 48 hours of your first collection.
- Supplements: avoid Tyrosine, L-Dopa, D,L-Phenylalanine (DLPA), Mucuna and Quercetin within 48 hours of your first collection.
COLLECT YOUR SPECIMEN
WHEN TO COLLECT IN THE MONTH:
- For cycling, premenopausal women: Begin collection between days 19 and 22 of a 28-day cycle. For longer cycles, add the number of days you usually go beyond 28 days. In a similar manner, subtract if your cycles are shorter (example: collect days 17-20 for a 26 day cycle).
- For irregular cycles or non-cycling (ablation or uterus removed) women: Watch this video for suggestions on collecting.
- For men and non-cycling or postmenopausal women: Collect any day.
WHEN TO COLLECT ON THE DAY:
- While adhering to your most common wake/sleep schedule, collect as close as possible to the below timeline.
- Watch your fluid consumption. Follow the fluid consumption guidelines for each collection listed below.
- No alcohol, caffeine or large fluid intake after lunch before beginning your collection protocol. Avoid all alcohol and caffeine until all samples have been taken.
- Tip: See the below FAQ for collecting with an uncommon schedule.
HOW TO COLLECT
- Complete all information on each collection device.
- Saturate the filter paper by urinating directly on it OR use a clean cup to catch urine then dip the filter paper into it.
- Leave the collection device open to dry for at least 24 hours
- Once dry, close each collection device. Place all devices in the resealable plastic bag and mail in the provided envelope. Be sure to include the completed requisition form (required). Do not send payment information as your test has been paid by Perfect Human Function.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- What if I miss a collection? Simply collect the sample as instructed the following day. All samples do not need to be collected in one 24-hour period. Be sure to follow liquid consumption guidelines.
- Do I have to take the samples in the order listed? No, they can be collected in a different order. If you wish you may start with sample #3, followed by #4, #1 & #2. If you begin with #3, collect the extra sample if you wake and urinate in the night. Be sure to follow liquid consumption guidelines.
- How long can I keep the dried samples before sending them in? While hormone levels are very stable in dried samples, they should be sent back as soon as possible. If you have to wait to send them in, place in freezer (in plastic bag) after drying.
- What if my sleep schedule is abnormal (night workers, etc.)? Collect the bedtime sample (#2) before your longest stretch of sleep, the waking sample (#3) after this sleeping period, and sample #4 two hours later. The dinnertime sample (#1) should be collected 4-7 hours before bed.
- What if I am unable to urinate at the specific time? Simply drink some fluids and go as soon as you are able.